The front seat of my Ford Fiesta while cruising vineyards in France

Monday, September 13, 2010

First Tasting of the Fall Season

Monday was the beginning of the 2010 fall tasting season commencing with a doubleheader. I arrive earlier than usual at 10:30am for Jenny & Francois Selections and what has become one of two of my most anticipated events.

Jenny has a collection that is entirely made up of natural/organic wines, predominately from France. These wines have a unique character that I find extremely attractive. For me, they bring back a  sensibility of winemaking from a time past, before chemical manipulation became more common. While some wines are just plain funky, most are very enjoyable and fairly priced in a retail setting.

Amongst the highlights were the Sablonettes gamay (Copains Aussi) and their grolleau (Copains d'Abord from the Vin de Table wines from the Anjou area. The Tournelle wines from Arbois made from ploussard. L'Anglore produced an old vine Vin de Table blend of carignan with a small portion of grenache and clairette from just outside of Avignon in the southern Rhone and the Rimbert wines from St Chinian in Languedoc.  

Taking a break between set of events I had a modest walk over to Gramercy Tavern for lunch. While I  have been there several times, I couldn't resist the allure of my favorite appetizer, their carrot and calamari salad. I also ordered the seafood chowder accented with fennel and accompanied by a glass of Lambrusco sparkling rose.

At the bar at Gramercy Tavern

The beloved carrot and calamari salad
Next up was the 25th Anniversary Grand Portfolio Tasting with Martin Scott at the Lincoln Center. As I am familiar with their book, I browsed about to re-familiarize myself with their staple items. The Martin Scott portfolio has never been more deep and diverse. I still find the Ole Imports to be worthy as well as the Italian selections. While they have a broad selection of well known domestic pinot noirs, I still find most of them to be over-ripe and over priced.

Martin Scott tasting at Lincoln Center.
There was another level below and in a side corridor.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment