The front seat of my Ford Fiesta while cruising vineyards in France

Monday, May 24, 2010

Vias Imports

This was my first visit to any Vias Imports event. Even though they self-distribute their products in NY and NJ, I had never been contacted by anyone from their firm in the past and therefore had neither tasted or purchased anything. I have seen a number of their items in NY restaurants and stores, so I was curious to see what they had to offer.

Again, the tasting was held at the Marriott Marquis, though in a smaller room. As I made my way around the room I was finding that most of the wines were of middling quality. Very little really got me excited though I will give them credit for showing some unusual varietals and appelations.

As Vias offered nothing more than cheese and bread, I left early so as to pickup some Dolin vermouth at Astor Wine and then obtain a late lunch. It was a humid day and the skies were dense with a heavy feeling rainy mist. This was very uncomfortable, so I made it to a new Mediterranean restaurant near Gramercy Square. However, it was way too warm in there and the wine selections by the glass looked pretty boring.

Luckily, Gramercy Tavern was next door and I settled in there for a lunch of carrot and calamari salad and a Plymouth and Dolin martini. The salad which I had ordered before has become a favorite of mine. Thin strips of carrot and squid in a refreshing lemon vinaigrette and garnished with pinenuts. I also had another appetizer of fish croquettes with heirloom green beans and arugula paired with a glass of Baudry Chinon rose. The croquette was perfectly crispy and crunchy, but the internal texture was on the dry side. Would not likely to order that again. Having visited Baudry in the Loire recently, I couldn’t resist this rose of cabernet franc. Light, pale and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment