The front seat of my Ford Fiesta while cruising vineyards in France

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Polaner at Gotham Hall

This tasting was hosted by New York based Polaner Selections and has been one of my most important suppliers of quality and value wines. Not made up of recognizable brand names, but truly authentic wines of character. I always look forward to their trade tasting event, especially since they only do one annually as opposed to others which will have one in spring and fall each year. Held in Gotham Hall, once a grand bank lobby, it is also one of the more attractive settings.

In addition to their own imports, they also distribute wines from two top level importers. Eric Solomon, based out of North Carolina has an exceptional Spanish and French book. Among these is the Sitios de Bodega “Con Class” Rueda, a top selling under $10 white wine from the Castilla y Leon region of Spain made mostly from the Verdejo grape.

The wines from importer Louis/Dressner and its principal, Joe Dressner, are my favorites. Mostly French, and with a large representation of my favorite wine region, the Loire Valley.

One of my favorites from his portfolio and probably the most consumed white wine by myself over the last twelve months is the Muscadet “Clos de Briords” from Domaine Pepiere. Delicious on its own and fantastic with seafood, this is the quintessential fish wine. Bone dry with citrus and the mineral essence of wet stones.

Having forgot to bring my NYC Metro pass, the chose to dine within a reasonable walking distance and walked from Broadway and 36th to B’way and 20th to Gramercy Tavern. There I started with the Merguez sausage with chick peas and Swiss chard, almond and harissa for which I paired with a cool fizzy glass of dry, red Lambrusco.

For mains I had simple pan-roasted chicken with parsnips and carrots. Their chicken is so tender and delicate. Good stuff. I had a Cuvee Pif from Clos Roche Blanche in Touraine. This is made from Cot (malbec) and Cabernet Franc and is named after the owner’s border collie mix. Pif essentially translates to nose.
Photo of Pif and the newly uninvited Seccotine the cat
in the cave at Clos Roche Blanche in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment